Are you a victim of the Netgear router red light issue? Nodding your head in yes? Well, that might be because of various reasons. But, let’s not get into that. Instead, let’s focus on how the issue can be resolved. Follow the troubleshooting hacks discussed below in this post and get to know how the red light issue can be fixed within a span of minutes.
[Resolved] Netgear Router Red Light Issue
1. Check the Power Supply
While performing Nighthawk router setup, did you not check the condition of the wall outlet into which you are plugging your device? Well, we think that you did not. Otherwise, think about it, will you even be facing the red light issue? No right?
To troubleshoot it, we recommend that you plug your Netgear router into a different wall outlet. By any chance, if you think that for this you will have to go out of your way, simply consider repairing your existing wall outlet.
2. Verify the Ethernet Connection
Another reason that might have caused the Netgear router red light issue is a weak or unstable connection between your devices. By devices, we are particularly talking about the router and modem.
Thus, take our advice and change your Ethernet cable. Not in the mood of getting a new one? Well, why worry when you can connect your devices using a wireless source?
3. Bring the WiFi Devices Closer
After following the last hack, are you still not able to turn the red light on your Netgear Nighthawk router to green? Well, it might be because you haven’t placed your router near the existing modem.
Your devices are supposed to be kept close for proper transmission of their WiFi signals. So, unplug both your devices from their respective sockets and plug them into the ones that are located close to each other. That way, you will ensure that their signals have no hurdles in their path to transmit signals.
4. Perform Netgear Firmware Update
Updating the firmware of the Netgear router has helped a lot of users get rid of technical issues. We hope that doing the same might help you out too.
To perform Netgear router firmware update, you are required to go through these steps:
- First of all, set up the hardware of your router thoroughly.
- Once you are done, gain access to an updated PC.
- If you use Google Chrome the most, open it up.
- Go to the URL field.
- Insert 192.168.86.1 and press the Enter key.
- Soon, the login window will come into view.
- You need to fill in the required admin credentials.
- So, do the needful and click Log In.
- Once you have accessed the dashboard, make your way to the Administration tab.
- Locate the Firmware Update option.
- As soon as you find it, click on it.
- Wait for some time.
After the firmware update has been completed, your WiFi router will reboot on its own.
5. Reboot the Netgear Router
If despite all the efforts that you have made, you are experiencing the Netgear router red light issue, you need to reboot your device. Restarting the router requires you to go through these guidelines:
- Pull the power cord connecting your router and adapter.
- Wait for some time.
- Connect the router to the power adapter with the help of the power cord.
Are you done rebooting or restarting your Netgear Nighthawk router? Well done. Now, see if the red light has been resolved. Got no luck? No problem. We still have one more hack that might be useful to you.
6. Perform Factory Default Reset
Restoring your router to its default mode means that every change you have made to your device will go poof in the air within seconds. In other words, your router will go back to being brand new.
Thus, if you are ready to take the risk, only then follow the below-given instructions:
- See where the Reset button is located on your Netgear router.
- Whenever you find it, press it, but very carefully.
- Now, the last step is to wait.
The minute you are done resetting your Netgear wireless router, configuring it again is required. Thus, reinstall it using the Nighthawk app.
With the last hack, we are putting an end to our guide talking about fixing the Netgear router red light issue. In case, you are aware of any other fix except the ones given above, it is recommended that you share it with your fellow readers. You can do so by dropping a comment in the section below.