Is the Netgear extender red light issue bothering you? Well, in that case, you have landed on the right page. This article gives you a brief about what could be the reason behind the red light issue in your Netgear extender.
So, go through the below-mentioned points to know what steps you need to take to tackle the extender red light issue. Without wasting more time, let’s get straight to the point. Keep reading to boost your knowledge and solve the issue in an instant.
Causes For Extender Red Light Issue
The overall performance of the Netgear extender is affected by the red light issue. Moreover, it could even lead to a sudden drop in WiFi signals. It impacts your overall internet experience.
Let’s explore some of the reasons for the Netgear extender red light issue. Read on.
Incorrect Extender Placement
If the Netgear extender is wrongly placed, the red light starts blinking on the extender. Hence, placing the extender by the window, on a thick wall, fish tanks, under the table, or out of sight could lead to the issue.
Wrong MAC Address
Every device has a MAC address that is required to connect the device to the other devices. In case you enter the wrong MAC address, the extender might blink red light.
Out of Date Firmware
One of the major reasons for the extender red light issue is having outdated firmware. It might result in slower internet connectivity or red light issue.
Back-End Internet Issues
Having back-end issues from the internet side could be another reason for the red light problem in your extender. So, in this case, you need to contact your ISP.
Improper Extender Installation
While performing the new extender setup, various issues occur. That is where you might have done changed the wrong setting. So, it might lead to the Netgear extender red light issue.
Troubleshooting Steps to Resolve Red Light Issue
As you can see, the reasons are many. However, solutions are also numerous to eliminate these reasons. Here are a few troubleshooting tips to ensure you never confront the red light issue again.
- Start with relocating the Netgear extender. Choose a location that is not congested with other objects, gadgets, or far away corners of the house.
- Furthermore, getting rid of objects emitting radiowaves is another way to resolve the issue.
- Faulty power supply cable might be a major reason behind the Netgear extender red light issue. So, consider changing the cable, power plug, or power source.
- Keep a check on the distance between the Netgear extender and router.
- Changing the security of the extender might also help in resolving the issue at hand.
- Moreover, changing the WiFi bands of the extender and the router to the same channel can also help. Hence, it might further affect the connection of devices via the netgear_ext name.
- Enabling the Netgear extender’s FastLane technology is another solution for the red light issue. It plays a major role when it comes to improving the overall performance of an extender.
- Change the distance between the Netgear extender and router. So, placement is crucial for optimum connectivity.
Access the Netgear extender’s default web address to open the Netgear Genie Wizard. In case that does not work, use the 192.168.1.250 IP address. It helps you operate and change the settings of your extender. With everything in check, resolving the Netgear extender red light issue is easy.
Furthermore, you can follow all the troubleshooting tips mentioned above. Apart from the red light issue, these tips ensure you get the best out of the extender connectivity. Resolving all the minor issues further offers you the best WiFi signals around you.